Michigan Center for Diabetes Translational Research: The MCDTR and UNC-Chapel Hill Peer Support Core
The MCDTR Peer Support Core is designed to foster rigorous translational research on peer support in diabetes prevention and management (support and encouragement delivered by nonprofessionals through diverse settings and modalities). This core is jointly led by faculty from the MCDTR and the Peers for Progress program at the Gillings School of Global Public Health at the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill.
The Specific Aims of the Core are:
- To provide investigators with access to expertise and resources on peer support in order to promote innovative research that will accelerate the adoption and dissemination of effective and cost-effective peer support interventions.
- To provide investigators technical assistance and training in peer support program development, implementation, evaluation, training, and quality improvement.
- To strengthen the networking between investigators at Michigan, UNC Chapel Hill, and other universities doing research in or interested in research utilizing peer support.
The Core will achieve these specific aims by providing the following key services:
- Share and tailor resources for various forms of peer support interventions in a range of populations and settings.
- Offer extended technical assistance for program implementation and evaluation.
- Provide expert consultation to investigators who are developing proposals for external funding.
- Host a yearly working meeting that will address an important issue in peer support and diabetes, such as peer support for depression and diabetes. The meeting will invite distinguished speakers and presenters from CDTRs and other settings.
- Facilitate sharing of published papers and reports, training and intervention methods, practice-oriented lessons learned, and other materials of interest to the research and practice communities. For more information, please visit www.peersforprogress.org.
- Michele E. Heisler, M.D., M.P.A., Co-Director, The MCDTR and UNC-Chapel Hill Peer Support Core
- email@example.com, 734-845-3504
- Edwin B. Fisher, Ph.D., Co-Director, The MCDTR and UNC-Chapel Hill Peer Support Core; Global Director, Peers for Progress
- firstname.lastname@example.org, 919-966-6693
- Martha M. Funnell, M.S., R.N., C.D.E., Co-Investigator
- email@example.com, 734-763-0001
- Laura Damschroder, M.P.H., M.S., Implementation Science Research Coordinator
- firstname.lastname@example.org, 734-845-3603
- Patrick Yao Tang, M.P.H., Core Manager
- email@example.com, 919-966-6236